Saturday, February 23, 2013

Paint the Ceiling

I did a poll survey on Facebook some time ago asking about the color of a ceiling. Majority responses wanted white ceiling and a few liked colored ceiling but would be afraid to risk at own house.

Now, I have some news for you: "The era of the bright-white ceiling is over," says Elaine Griffin, an interior designer in New York City. And I love it!!
I have a confession to make- a few years ago I was thinking the same as my voters- why to color ceiling?, who is looking up?, I commented even on some designer work... Now, after several painted houses, several consultations I have changed my mind.
Paint the ceiling! Treat the ceiling as your 5th wall!
I think, ceiling should automatically be included in all painting job estimates. But instead, there is always (!) a question: what about the ceiling? or - The ceiling looks good - no need to paint it.

Painting the ceiling a color adds interest to the room and brings harmony to the walls and ceiling. Use a shade lighter than the walls to visually raise it. OR-go a shade darker to bring it down and add coziness. 
If you feeling unsure paint the same color as your walls or add "a few drops" (about 10 percent) of the wall color to a white flat paint- it will give your ceiling a more cohesive feeling.
 
 
If you're feeling braver, you can add even more color.

 
 
 
And if you're feeling like a rock star, go ahead and bring in a new color that complements the wall color as well as the other elements in the room. Make sure the ceiling color you've chosen has relevance to the rest of room's color story.
 
 
 
 
 
**************
Look up - your ceiling color is just as important as the walls.

No comments: